Desktop Setup Edit
In the future the game will feature a nice setup utility; however, for now some things need to be done manually.
Get Java Edit
Heroes of Umbra requires the Java Runtime Environment. 1.7 usually works best and in most cases you probably already have it installed on your machine. To verify (on Windows) whether or not Java is installed and configured:
- Use the Windows Key + R shortcut, type cmd, and in the command prompt, type java -version
- If you see detailed information about java, then everything is configured correctly.
- If you get an error about java not being found, you'll need to download the Java Runtime Environment. Look for the x64 executable. (It's named something like jre-7u71-windows-x64.exe accept the license, download, and install. (Do not install the shitty toolbar.)
- If you still get the java not found error after installing and rebooting, then you'll need to set your path variable to include java's location.
Get PeaZip Edit
PeaZip is an open-source file compression utility required to extract the game's runtime files. Grab the version that corresponds to your system's hardware (usually x64) and install it if you don't have it.
Get Heroes of Umbra Edit
Download the latest version of Heroes of Umbra. Right click the downloaded rar file and extract the contents. Feel free to put this folder somewhere where it's easier to find later.
Either double-click heroes-of-umbra.jar or run.bat to start up the game.
Without PeaZip Edit
If you don't want to (or can't) install PeaZip, you can directly download the games files.
- Go to the Download page, but download the "JAR-only" version.
- Make a folder and name it something along the lines of "Heroes of Umbra", and place it wherever you want.
- Place the downloaded "heroes-of-umbra.jar" into the folder.
At this point, under Windows or Mac OS X, should be able to play just by double-clicking the .jar file. If you're running Linux, see below.
In your Heroes of Umbra folder, make a new file, and name it start.sh.
Open this file in whatever editor you prefer, and type this in the file:
#/bin/bash java -jar heroes-of-umbra.jar
Now, open a Terminal window, navigate to your Heroes of Umbra folder by using the cd command.
And make the script executable:
chmod +x start.sh
To play, navigate to the Heroes of Umbra folder (in a terminal or file browser) and execute start.sh.
In a file browser, you should just be able to double-click it.
In a terminal, launch it using: